Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Best Teachers on Celluloid

This is what one of my brothers gave me for Christmas:

I'm not a big fan of the show or Chris Lilley, but it does seem like a lot of teachers do like both him and it. I'm more of a Gleek myself.

It got me thinking, though - what makes TV shows and films about school and teachers so popular?

Whenever I show The Triumph: The Ron Clark Story to a class, regardless of their age, they watch it in fascinated absorption, even though they know it is a feelgood story with a happy ending. They can't really identify with the Harlem students in the movie {btw, you can find out more about Ron Clark and his academy here}, and yet something about the story of the persevering and triumphant teacher strikes a chord.

What do you think are the best depictions on celluloid of teachers and/or teaching?

These are the ones in my collection:
  • The Triumph: The Ron Clark Story
  • Dangerous Minds
  • Freedom Writers

And some I wish I had:
  • Dead Poet's Society
  • To Sir, With Love 
  • Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel
You could probably name many more!

1 comment:

  1. I love Dangerous Minds. I think that's a fairly accurate depiction of what a teacher's role is like - unsure, always trying new things, struggling with trying to impart the importance of learning and education.

    Having said that, I haven't seen 'To Sir, With Love' yet (yes, yes, I know), and I hear that's excellent.

    ReplyDelete